A small batch recipe for fluffy honey lavender cupcakes topped with whipped honey lavender buttercream frosting. The perfect spring cupcake.
- In a small pot combine the milk and dried lavender and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat as soon as it starts to boil and allow the milk to cool to room temperature.
- Strain the lavender from the milk and discard the lavender. Set the lavender milk aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place 8 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the butter and creamed honey and beat together on high until light and fluffy (approximately 5 minutes.) 6. Add in the egg white, vanilla extract, and sour cream and mix on high for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and begin to mix on low. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the lavender milk and mix until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner approximately ¾ full with the cupcake batter and bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Gently remove each cupcake from the pan and place on a cooling rack to fully cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and honey together on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the icing sugar and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Add in the lavender milk and mix on low until combined. *If you are using purple food colouring, add it now.
- Turn the mixer to high and allow to beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Top the cupcakes with the frosting and enjoy.
- Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
TIP - We used a piping bag and a Wilton 1M piping tip to pipe swirls on top of each cupcake and sprinkled on a tiny bit of dried lavender and a drizzle of liquid honey for decoration.